The last time I was at a Drive-In was in the early 80's. My dad took us all to see a double feature, Mr. Mom & Splash. We only got to see Mr. Mom because it was so late. I remember I was so bummed because I knew that Splash was about a mermaid and since I was 8, it seemed like if I could only see that movie then I could learn how to become a mermaid thus fulfilling my life's purpose. I ended up watching it a few years later on HBO but by then my life's purpose had changed from becoming a mermaid to chasing boys. Oh well.
Strangely enough, being at the Drive-In last Friday was exactly like being there when I was 8 (not the same theatre though). We had definitely gone back in time. Before the movie started the kids played on some play equipment in front of the screen. The play equipment reminded me of that scene in Grease when John is sitting on the swing singing. I'm pretty sure the monkey bars were older than me.
We watched Wall-e and the kids seemed to like it. I found it a little boring, but I think the new experience kept the kids interested. Is it just me or does every new animated movie have an underlying social message? Happy Feet was about global warming, Wall-e was about recycling. Not that I disagree with saving the planet, but come on. I'd like to go see a cartoon movie once without feeling guilty. I'm starting to get annoyed with all the subliminal propaganda.
2 comments:
It's our beginning of summer ritual to go to the drive in!! I don't think WallE was meant to make you feel guilty - just think before you buy and dispose. And seriously - I'd rather have a MILLION socially conscious animated movies than another princess in distress being saved by a prince movie, thankyouverymuch!
Lisa, you would have made a beautiful mermaid.
Post a Comment