Tuesday, November 23, 2010

grateful.

(photo from Google)
I'm convinced that no matter how much we have, we always find something to complain about.
So, I started an exercise today. The grateful exercise. Every time I have a negative thought, which oddly enough is a lot, I think of one thing to be grateful for. For example:
I wish I had a new car. = I'm so grateful to have a car to take me everywhere I need to go.
I hate that the kids are fighting. = I'm so grateful my kids are healthy enough to fight with each other.
I don't like anything in my closet. = I'm so grateful for a closet full of clothes.
I miss living in Missouri. = I'm so grateful for the wonderful friends we have in Dallas.
I hate that Adam can't shut a cabinet door to save his life. = I'm so grateful for an incredible husband and father to my children.
I hate that my house is a mess. = I'm grateful I'm able to clean it (as well as have a little help from a maid;) - (small perk of living in Texas)).
I feel fat today. = I'm grateful for the ability to exercise. And, I really like my nose.:)
These are just a few of the negative thoughts I've had today. Following each thought up with a grateful thought has made a huge difference in my day.
You should try it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice
Dad

Sharon said...

Love it. How we "talk" to ourselves plays a huge part in how we then feel and view situations and so it's amazing how a simple thing like reframing a negative thought to a more positive or neutral one can really help your outlook! And B feels your pain about Adam and the cabinets. I am the same way about drawers--never met one I could remember to close...