Ten years ago today, my sweet momma went to be with Jesus. I think of her everyday, and can't wait to see her again - that is going to be one great hug!
Several years ago I started writing down memories of her, little things I didn't want to forget. So in honor of Mom today, here are some pictures and memories of her... my beautiful mom.
You were beautiful, inside and out.
All your wonderful cooking... Always trying to make the best restaurant dishes.
You would always make me hot tea or hot chocolate before school, even in college.
Your love for crafts... painting, card making, quilting, cross stitching.
The special care you took when putting on your make-up... sitting at your vanity, taking your time.
The way you would shake the peas when you got them out of the microwave, your whole body would shake.
The way you would say "for-ev-er" like in the movie The Sand Lot.
You would never settle when looking for a bed spread. You wanted to find the perfect one.
Enjoying strawberry limeades while driving around in the country before I got my license on a Sunday afternoon.
Your hugs - big with lots of "love pats."
Your laugh.
Watching Seinfeld reruns with you during lunch while I was in college and you were working at Clinton Allen. Loved that we could have lunch together.
School shopping with you. We always had the same taste and we both loved to shop.
You loved halloween, always dressing up and decorating the house.
Your favorite shows: Murder She Wrote, Andy Griffith, I Love Lucy, and Mary Tyler Moore.
You always made Valentines Day a formal occasion. The dining room would be decorated and we would have a candle lit dinner with a little gift and treat for us.
You always brought 3 things to a Royals game: Twizlers, M&M's, and a book.
Sitting by you at church. I would always rest my head on your shoulder.
The way you would easily make beautiful bows.
The way you would sing "Hush Little Baby" to me when I was little. You would always yawn in the middle and now when I sing to my kids I do the same thing and always think of you.
"I'll just have the large spaghetti." Your order at Pagliai's.
You would always sit quietly in the morning while eating your cereal. I always wondered what you were thinking about.
You had the softest hands of anyone I've ever met.
You kept a tube of Chapstick in all your purses, coats and jackets.
You would only chew a half a stick of gum because a whole was too much.
When you first saw Steel Magnolias you had to leave the theatre because it was too sad for you to watch the mother sit and sing to her daughter in the hospital.
Although I hate cleaning house, you taught me to be grateful that I am well enough to do so.
You made time for a devotional every day.
We loved watching Goonies together even though we'd seen it 100 times.
You never missed a TV showing of The Wizard of Oz or The Sound of Music.
You always cleaned your mixer after using it so it was nice and clean for you the next time you used it.
You quit work for a few years so you could stay home with Brian and I and be a room mother and spend the summers with us.
You called the TV the "boob tube."
You loved a weekend nap.
You always kept two baskets full of toys in the entryway closet in case we had little ones visiting.
Your love for home decor - you had a plan for every room in the house.
Your special jewelry box where you kept all our baby teeth.
You wanted a Jeep Cherokee.
In high school one year you went to pom pon camp with me. You learned a dance routine and had a ball performing it with all the other moms.
You would cut out comic strips from the paper and hang them in closets and cabinets around the house.

You loved your sisters and brothers and always enjoyed being with them.
During your struggle with cancer, your faith carried you through to the end and because you were so strong we could be too.
You liked to doodle. I used to sit and watch you while you talked on the phone while you would draw the neatest pictures.
You called your parents "Mother and Daddy" and always took good care of them.
You were a friend to everyone but preferred to be at home more than going out.
You could fold a fitted sheet into a perfect square.
The way you would say "cheese burger, cheese burger, pepsi, pepsi."
You would help Brian study for his upcoming tests by quizzing him as much as he asked.
Me saying to Adam, "Isn't my mom pretty?" when you were going out one night.
You didn't spend much time feeling sorry for yourself, but when you did you'd say "I had to have a little pity party."
Fall was your favorite season.
You made Adam carry things for me.:)
You would collect wild flowers and press them.
You loved Randy Travis songs.
How excited you were when I told you I was pregnant.
You were kind and gentle.
Your love for the outdoors - the colors, planting, gardening.
The night you passed away Dad called to tell me you were getting bad. I told him to tell you I loved you and he said he wasn't going to tell you that because you already knew that. I wish I would have told him to tell you "thank you." You were the most wonderful mother, thank you so much for everything you did for me.
What a blessing it was to have such a special mom. I'm a lucky girl.
ps. Thanks Dad, for always taking pictures.


























































6 comments:
what a sweet tribute. you are a lucky girl. What an amazing mom. I can't wait to meet her. WHat a blessing all those pictures are!
Love you Lisa and Anita. Your mom sure was beautiful inside and out. I can't believe how young your parents looked in one of those first pictures! How old were they when they met? I will never forget how your mom would say "Lee-sa" and the smile on her face and in her voice. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts, memories,and pictures. Xoxo
Real nice Lisa. I hadn't seen several of those pictures.
BTW - mom brought four things to Royal's games. She also bought a spoon for me because the wooden spoons they give you with chocolate frosties give me the heebie jeebees.
--Brian
Wow, Lisa. I never knew your Mom, but enjoyed reading about her. She sounds like an amazing woman. What a touching tribute. Thinking of you!!
I loved this, Lisa. I don't think I ever met your mom, even though I feel like I've known you all my life. It sounds like she was an amazing woman, someone we can all hope to emulate. I love how you mentioned all the little things you remember about her, even chewing only a half a stick of gum. I do the same thing and I wonder if it's something my kids will always remember. :)
So sweet, I love to come here and read this...I think of your mom so often. I miss her.
Post a Comment