Monday, May 19, 2008

Bee Hunt

Ahh... Spring. I just love it! The warm weather, sunny sky, blooming trees and flowers, spring planting, what could "bee" better?



I was so excited to start planting my flowers last week. It was a beautiful day when I made my way to the back yard to begin some planting prep work. I was busy at work when I heard a bzzzz, bzzzz, bzzzz right by my ear. I quick sprang up to see what was whispering in my ear and found two ginormous bees buzzing around my head. I swatted and they came closer. So, like any good chicken, I ran away scared. I attempted my gardening 3 more times before I finally hit my breaking point. I got online and googled "carpenter bees" and found out all I needed to know. I went next door and borrowed my nice neighbors' net and emailed Adam to let him know that when he got home we wuz goin' to war with those little *&%$!!'s! He told me later that my email made him laugh out loud during a conference call. I saw no humor in it. These little annoying creatures were ruining my spring fun and I was ready to kill.


When Adam got home I handed over the net and sent him off to war (while I stayed safely inside the screened in porch). Adam turned out to be quite the hero; which was a surprise considering his rocky history with bees. He caught about 15 bees all together and gave the kids and I the honor of squishing their little bodies to pieces. I have to say that I've truly never enjoyed killing something more than I did those damn bees.


Adam filled all the holes in the porch (the little buggers chew away the wood and make a nest inside) so life is somewhat back to normal. I do believe I will be buying a net though.


Now... back to my beautiful flowers.:)




Right after I took this picture Wesley said the funniest thing. He was hunting bees with Daddy and as he was looking up he said "that damn bee." Adam and I about fell over laughing knowing that watching his mama fight all week with the bees had taught him more than he needed to know.

1 comment:

Becky and Bob Houtchens said...

Lisa, reading this story was the highlight of my day. I am still laughing! Damn bees! I guess at least Adam didn't end up in the emergency room this time after a run in with the bees.